Primary Function: The District Safety and Security Coordinator develop and maintain a safe and secure environment for students, employees and visitors throughout the district. Evaluates district safety plans and ensures adequate precautions and protections are in place. Promotes a safe and orderly environment by planning and implementing safety procedures, initiatives, and training. Serves as an informational source for faculty, staff and safety and security, and law enforcement throughout the school district. The Coordinator works in collaboration with site administration to establish appropriate regulations, procedures, and plans to ensure safe and secure school facilities.
Directly Responsible to: Superintendent Designee
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
• Shall establish and maintain a district safety and security program, including:
o Building security systems
o Building surveillance systems
o Visitor registration and identification procedures
o Emergency plans for evacuations, lock downs, and other crises
o Security staff orientation and training programs
o Effective and efficient deployment of security personnel
o Coordination of services with local, state and federal law enforcement and emergency agencies
• Shall assist in directing the deployment of security and law enforcement personnel to manage routine operations and emergency situations.
• Coordinates and supports school and District comprehensive safety plan implementation and monitoring.
• Plan and lead meetings of District safety committee and train personnel in digital, physical, and mental health safety practices and protocols; liaison as needed with city, county, and other public agency staff and neighboring school districts in development or refinement of disaster and emergency response plans.
• Provide assistance to the Superintendent Designee in the preparation and maintenance of a variety of narrative and statistical reports, records and files related to assigned activities.
• Provide technical expertise, information and assistance in the formulation and development of safety policies, procedures and programs.
• Coordinate, prepare, and facilitate trainings for students, parents, community members, and employees on topics related to school safety, including but not limited to drugs, violence, trauma, suicide prevention, bullying and harassment, as well as other safety and security initiatives. • Serve as a liaison between the school district, the community, and local law enforcement.
• Recommend changes in safety systems and operations based on current industry knowledge and results of school safety reviews.
• Perform related duties as assigned that support the overall objectives of the position.
• Plan, organize, administer and direct safety programs District-wide, including oversight and monitoring of site safety plans and crisis intervention plans.
• Evaluate safety drills at school sites and provide training or resources to address deficiencies.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of planning and organization of school safety plans, procedures and protocol.
Knowledge of emergency preparedness programs.
Knowledge of applicable laws, codes, regulations, policies and procedures related to school and student safety.
Knowledge of District policies and procedures.
Ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with District administrators, school staff and representatives of other agencies.
Ability to read, interpret and apply laws, policies, procedures, codes and regulations.
Ability to prioritize, plan, and coordinate work to meet deadlines.
Ability to serve as an informational resource to faculty, staff and administrators.
Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Ability to operate a computer, tablet, and proprietary or mass market software platforms such as Google Docs or MS Office.
Ability to develop rapport and trust and effectively mediate and resolve conflict. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
Education, Training and Experience: Bachelor’s degree with three years of increasing responsibilities in management or administration. School District experience desired. Security, law enforcement, emergency procedures related experience desired.
Be able to work with law enforcement and security personnel as well as school district staff.
Exhibit a personality that demonstrates interpersonal skills to relate well with students, staff, administration, parents and the community.
Able to handle and maintain confidential reports regarding students, staff, parents, etc.
Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing, using proper grammar and vocabulary.
Valid California driver’s license
Bilingual fluency in Spanish is highly desirable.
All application packets must be submitted to Personnel Services, Mt. Diablo Unified School District, 1936 Carlotta Drive, Concord, CA 94519, including:
• the completed application form and supplemental questionnaire
• a personal letter of interest, a resume including background information, educational experience and achievements, and community and professional involvement; and one current (less than one year old) letter of recommendation
Additional Salary Information: Paid Holidays, Vacation, and District Paid Benefits
261 Day Calendar
About Mt. Diablo Unified School District
The Mt. Diablo Unified School District Personnel Services Department is dedicated to securing highly qualified and dedicated administrators, teachers, and support staff, for the children of our District. We actively recruit applicants whose first concern is helping all students reach their full potential. We value diversity and strive to recruit a workforce reflective of the society in which our students live. We are also committed to keeping our employees by providing an excellent working environment.