DEFINITION: Under general direction, coordinates the development and revision of district, school and program budgets; controls the processing of appropriation transfers; prepares and presents various fiscal reports; provides resource material for collective bargaining and relevant committees; monitors and analyzes district revenue sources including student attendance accounting, develops and maintains effective budget control procedures; and performs other related work as required.
SUPERVISION OVER: Fiscal Analyst(s), Associate Fiscal Analyst(s), Budget Technicians
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Analyzes, plans and projects the revenues and expenditures of district budgets for the current year and subsequent two years; establishes routines and methodologies to accurately compute formulas and projections for budget allocations; develops and revises the budget development guides for school sites and programs; advises and assists managers in the preparation, control and expenditure of their budgets.
2. Audits a wide variety of proposed budgets for accuracy and adherence to established guidelines for both staffing and dollar amounts; performs discretionary and non-discretionary auditing; computes salaries and benefits; balances budgets to establish formulas and allocations. 3. Oversees the input of budget allocations and staffing FTE into applicable systems; verifies that all necessary items have been properly approved and budgeted; balances expenditures to revenue including contributions to other funds for assigned funds; develops and utilizes spreadsheet programs. 4. Assists the Human Resources Department and Position Control Specialist to develop and monitor appropriate position control procedures and assign budget and accounting codes appropriately. 5. Prepares and process documents and information relating to collective bargaining activities including employee compensation and AB 1200 compliance; calculates the cost of step and column increases and other calculations as needed. 6. Prepares supporting schedules and budget documents for approval of the Board of Education including the final and interim budget reports. 7. Audits to assure that positions budgeted by schools and departments do not exceed authorizations; assures number of employees placed does not exceed authorized amounts; monitors the data processing personnel system to assure that salaries are accurately reflected. 8. Oversees the verification that all expenditures, including payroll are charged and allocated correctly; makes transfers and corrections to the expense and appropriations ledger as needed to correctly apply salaries and benefits to budgeted accounts; notifies site and program of corrections to payroll account numbers and reviews errors with staff and others by written communication, telephone or in person. 9. Oversees the monitoring of district, school and program budgets during the year including reviewing monthly expenditure ledgers for accuracy and making corrections and reviewing and approving transfers of appropriations. 10. Communicates with site managers and staff as needed, assures compliance with established budgets and makes recommendations for change or correction. 11. Trains, provides work direction, and supervises assigned personnel. 12. Assists others in solving budget and accounting problems in the areas of payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, position control, purchasing, and transfers. 13. Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills: School district accounting and auditing principles, practices and procedures; Financial, statistical and fiscal record-keeping principles; Preparation and maintenance of comprehensive accounting and budgetary records; Financial reporting procedures; Data processing applications to accounting and auditing functions related to database management, electronic spreadsheets and word processing; Applicable sections of State Education Code and other applicable laws; Modern office practices, procedures and equipment; Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy; Operation of a personal computer and computer terminal; Technical aspects of field of specialty; District organization, operations, policies and objectives; Policies and objectives of assigned program and activities; Oral and written communication skills; Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
Ability To: Perform a variety of technical accounting duties in the preparation, maintenance and control of District budgets. Prepare a variety of District, State and Federal financial reports and projections. Maintain and audit fiscal records and accounts. Assure compliance with applicable district policies, procedures and governmental regulations. Balance budgets and accounts and reconcile financial statements. Interpret and apply rules, regulations, policies and procedures. Plan and organize work. Operate a variety of office equipment and machines including personal computers and spreadsheet applications. Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationship with others. Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action. Work independently with little direction. Meet schedules and time lines. Compile, analyze and record financial and statistical data. Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Evidence of freedom from active tuberculosis (CA Education Code section 49406)
• Possession of a valid California driver’s license.
• Willing to work additional hours periodically.
• Willing to travel locally.
• Indoor office environment
• Continuous contact with staff
• Drive a vehicle to conduct work
Typical Physical Characteristics: (with or without the use of aids; consideration will be given to reasonable accommodation)
• Inspect documents and other written materials with fine print
• Communicate to exchange information in person, with groups and on the telephone
• Move about district departments and community to conduct work
• Remain in a stationary position for extended periods of time
• Operate tools and equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination
• Physical, mental and emotional stamina to endure long hours under sometimes stressful conditions
This job description is not a complete statement of essential functions and responsibilities. The district retains the discretion to add or change typical duties of a position at any time.
Board Approval Date: Pending board approval