BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
Under the direction of the Superintendent, performs a variety of professional administrative duties related to the management, control, and evaluation of Business Services and Facilities Services Departments; ensures compliance with District policies and State and federal laws and regulations; supervises and evaluates the performance of assigned staff.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plans, organizes, administers, and directs the activities and operations of Business Services and Facilities Services Departments, including budget preparation and control, payroll preparation, attendance accounting, fiscal record management, risk management, warehousing, communications, food services, transportation contracts, systems and processes related to the disbursement of funds, and internal accounting, auditing to ensure cost effective operations. E
- Provides advice and counsel to the Board of Education, Superintendent, District, Management Team and others on all matters relating to the business services functions of the District. E
- Oversees, supervises and monitors the Facilities Services Department and modernization projects. E
- Directs the development of Board policies related to the District’s financial operations and business functions. E
- Prepares and administers the District’s budget and ancillary State and federal financial reports. E
- Coordinates and manages all matters related to the external auditing of all fiscal aspects of programs and offices in the District. E
- Attends Board of Education meetings and advises as to the business responsibilities and liabilities of the District. E
- Oversees and manages various District contracts and maintains records covering programs of the District. E
- Interprets the Business Services program and the budgets to staff and community. E
- Proposes fiscal measures to maximize resources allocated to the instructional goals of the District. E
- Interprets and ensures compliance with federal, State and District regulations and policies related to Business and Facilities Services. E
- Serves as resource and member of the Management Team in the collective bargaining process. E
- Initiates a thorough analysis of factors which impact District operations from both short and long range perspectives. E
- Analyzes recent and pending legislation, impacting education and/or funding, in conjunction with local, and State entities. E
- Assists in lobbying activities on behalf of the District. E
- Provides inservice training for District staff in order to maintain adequate business, financial and purchasing procedures and controls. E
- Supervises, trains, evaluates and disciplines Fiscal Services, Budget, Purchasing, Warehouse, Food Services, Facility Services, Duplicating and Communications employees; ensures the timely completion of assigned projects and activities and the maintenance of high standards of quality. E
- Interviews and recommends the selection of Directors and other staff as needed, recommends transfers and terminations and reviews salary increases; prepares disciplinary action reports. E
- Develops, maintains and monitors procedures to ensure the accurate and efficient processing of financial transactions and to maintain adequate internal controls and compliance with policies, procedures and legal requirements. E
- Administers the purchase, acquisition, storage and distribution of supplies, food equipment and other materials for the District; ensures appropriate inventory and warehouse methods and practices. E
- Administers the Food Services program; ensures compliance with health and sanitation and the nutritional value of food items prepared and served in District schools. E
- Supervises the preparation of a variety of complex federal, State and local financial and statistical reports as required. E
- Researches and analyzes financial data in areas where information is required to assist District and site administrators. E
- Communicates with State, County and District departments and personnel to provide information, request information and resolve issues. E
- Communicates with various financial institutions concerning District banking arrangements and various financing instruments. Prepares materials required to obtain Tax and Revenue Anticipation Notes. E
- Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Principals of organization, fiscal management, systems analysis, budgeting, staff development, communications, personnel administration, school district accounting, and auditing of a school district.
- Exhibit exemplary communication skills and demonstrate the ability to write and verbally present clear and concise financial reports.
- Identify entrepreneurial approaches that can generate new revenues and reduce costs.
- Work effectively and have an up to date knowledge of computers and specialized technology utilized in accounting, data analysis, and strategic planning.
- Lead and manage employees from diverse backgrounds with various levels of expertise and perspectives